Monday, March 12, 2007

Home Sweet Home















Who schedules a vacation to Toronto in the dead of winter? Me, that's who. People at work looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I was vacationing in Toronto in February. After Ol' Man Winter welcomed me back with snow, ice and rain, I agree with them - I must be crazy. Despite being hit hard with a cruel blast of winter, I was so happy to be home! It felt great to be back in Toronto - I really missed everyone. I even missed the 401 and skyscrapers (the maximum speed limit in Cayman is 50mph & that is only along stretches travelling to the east end of the island).

Never before had I been so anxious for a plane ride to be over. I couldn't wait to get home. After 4 hours of restlessness on my flight (alternating between reading, watching "Flushed Away", being annoyed by "Flushed Away", listening to my Ipod & trying to sleep), I finally arrived in Toronto. Yippee!! If you don't know this about my family already, I'll fill you in on a little secret - we tend to be a bit emotional. Who am I kidding? We cry like babies at the drop of a hat. So, my cousins & I were a bit worried about how the airport reunion would go. We didn't want to completely embarrass ourselves in front of total strangers (we jump at the chance to do it in the privacy of our own homes, but not in public places). I breezed through customs, collected my luggage and headed for the exit. I was all smiles. Until the sliding doors opened. I could feel tears welling up & I hadn't even seen Shelley or Lindsay yet! I scanned the awaiting faces & there was no sign of them. As I turned to walk down the ramp, I saw them. They even had Welcome Home balloons with them! I hurried to meet them & gave them both big hugs... There was definite cry-fest potential, but each of us managed to hold it together.

If you're wondering why they were the only ones to greet me at the airport, it's because the rest of my family had no idea I arrived that day. I told them I was arriving 4 days later so that I could pull off a belated Christmas surprise. And it worked. Shelley, Lindsay and I pulled off a perfect surprise entrance. It's a shame I can't post videos - the footage of my mom and aunt's reactions when they realized I had showed up for Chinese food is absolutely priceless!! My aunt's voice reached a pitch where only dogs could hear her! A HUGE thank you to Shelley & Lindsay for helping me execute the belated Christmas surprise. I also thank Julie for helping set up the surprise for my Dad and Jane. I didn't capture that one on video, but it was great nonetheless.

I had a lot planned for the short time I was home. 10 days seemed like a lot of time, but it flew by in the blink of an eye. I knew it was going to be hectic, but didn't realize the extent of it. Trying to see everyone I wanted to in that time proved to be an impossible task. I actually woke up in the middle of the night a few times and tried to work out a better visiting schedule. It still didn't work. I'm a rookie visitor and I hope to do a better job next time I'm home.

One of the highlights of my trip was the white Christmas in March. That's right - a Christmas celebration in March. Complete with turkey, decorations, carols, presents and even snow. It was excellent! I was spoiled, as usual. My mom bought me a new stereo for Christmas. It is currently set up in my mom's living room and she will look after it while I'm here. Clever, isn't she? It reminds me of the time Homer bought Marge a new bowling ball... THANK YOU to my family for celebrating Christmas in March just for me, especially Grandma, Auntie Lana and Mom for preparing an amazing Christmas feast. Nothing beats Grandma's homemade coleslaw! YUM! Thanks to everyone for the amazing gifts you gave me (luckily customs didn't question why I needed 2 suitcases for a 10 day trip to Toronto).

Another highlight was the night out at the Duke of York. I really appreciate that everyone made the effort to venture out on a frosty February night to hang out with me. Thanks, guys! It was great to see everyone & I was reminded of why it was difficult to leave in the first place.

In between visiting people, I managed to fit in some shopping. A LOT of shopping... 6 months worth of shopping. The variety and quality of clothing and shoes available in Cayman is terrible. And, Caymanians seem to like shiny & sparkly clothing & shoes - the more sequins the better. The clothes I do like here tend to be expensive. When I stepped into Yorkdale for the first time in well over 6 months, I felt like I had died & gone to heaven! I was so shopping deprived that I was even more indecisive than usual. I felt the need to buy everything & anything that I even remotely liked. Shelley had to keep reminding me that there were other stores to go to & to exercise restraint in my spending. After 4 trips to Old Navy, 2 trips to Yorkdale, a trip to both Sherway and Woodbine, and a new suitcase full of clothes & shoes(including my belated Christmas & birthday presents), I was all shopped out! Not to mention my Visa was maxed out!

After celebrating Christmas, visiting family & friends, and shopping 'til I dropped, it was time to return to Cayman for a rest. I couldn't believe the 10 days were over already. It felt like I had only just arrived and I wasn't ready to say "Bye" to everyone again. I wish I could just transport all of my friends & family with me to Cayman - then life here would be close to perfect. Thanks again everyone for making my trip home so amazing - I miss all of you already!!

3 Comments:

At 7:34 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad Beck that you couldn't post the video ... your aunt would come off as a ranting maniac!

It was great to have you home ... it was like you never left ... it was fun times as usual.

Can't wait til your next visit ... maybe it will be permanent next time.

 
At 4:40 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so good to see you Becky!!
Hopefully we dont have to wait another 6 months to see you!!
Enjoy the sun!!!

 
At 8:42 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great having you home Becky and what an awesome surprise.

Can't wait until your home to stay.

Love, Super T

 

Post a Comment

<< Home