Sunday, November 05, 2006

English as a Second Language?

One of my absolute favourite things about living here is listening to everyone's different accents - English, Irish, Scottish, South African and Caymanian, to name a few. It took me a few weeks to adjust my listening skills, which involved me saying "pardon" about a thousand times. Even after I got used to the accents, I still couldn't understand what people were saying! The British use an entirely different vocabulary. Here are some of the new English words I've learned so far:

knackered = exhausted
gutted = devastated
snog = make out
pants = crappy
car park = parking lot
boot = car trunk
minty = gross
take a view = make a business decision
chav = trailer trash
fancy = like
minging = disgusting individual

My absolute favourite so far is "sepo", short for septic tank, which rhymes with yank = American... Because septic tanks and Americans are both full of...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home